Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Word: obsolescence





obsolescence

[ob-suh-les-uh ns]

noun
1. the state, process, or condition of being or becoming obsolete.

***********************************
Dee put the finishing touches on the coffee table.  Everything was perfect.  All the books were arranged neatly, the vase was filled with fresh flowers, and there wasn’t a speck of dust anywhere on there.  The Cleaner stepped back and took one final look at the table.  She nodded her head and moved on to the next project.  She stopped when her employer, Max, entered the room.
                “Good evening, sir.”  She said.
                “Yeah, hi Dee.”  He stood at the entry to the living room and nervously shifted his weight from one foot to another.  Dee just moved on to her next task.  “Um, listen, Dee, before you start anything else, there’s something I wanted to talk to you about.”
                “Of course, sir.  What may I do for you?”  Dee asked.
                “Dee, how long have you been with us?”
                “Five years, sir.”
                “Right, right.  That’s a pretty good length of time for a Cleaner, right?”
                “I suppose so.  Why?  Is there something wrong?” Dee started to feel an odd sensation welling up inside of her.  If she didn’t know any better, she would swear she was getting nervous.  But she had nothing to be nervous about, so it was probably something else.
                “Yeah, actually.”  Max fidgeted around for a moment before continuing.  “I’m not really sure how to break this to you, so I’ll just say it.  Me and Vicky have been talking, and we were thinking about getting a new Cleaner.”
                Dee didn’t know what had just happened.  Was there a problem with her hearing?  Was he playing a joke on her?  None of those seemed likely, but she simply couldn’t believe what she had just heard.  There was no way he would just get rid of her, not after so long.
                “I am sorry, sir, but could you repeat that?”
                “Sorry, Dee, but we need a new Cleaner.”
                “But, sir, you still have me, don’t you?  Why would you need another Cleaner when I’m around?” 
                Max rubbed the back of his neck and let out a sound that was somewhere between a sigh and a squeak.  Dee would’ve held her breath if she could have.
                “Well, see, the thing is, we don’t need two Cleaners.  Not enough room, right?  So that means we kind of, you know, have to replace you.”  His voice got lower and quieter with every word he spoke. 
                “But why?” Dee asked.  “There is no reason to replace me, is there?  I still do my duties well, right?”
                “W-well, actually…” Max said.  Dee was starting to get very afraid of those two words. “I hate to say this, but you’re starting to get a little old.”
                “Old?  But I have only been here for five years.”
                “Right, right.  But that’s a long time for a Cleaner.  I mean, there are people who replace theirs every year or two.”
                “So?  I am still doing my job well.  It has nothing to do with how long you’ve had me, does it?”
                “Well, no, I suppose not.  It’s just that Vicky and I worry that you’re becoming a little…”  Dee felt a deep horror enter her system.  She hoped the dreaded word wasn’t coming.  “Obsolete.”  Max finished.
                There it was.  The absolute worst word a Cleaner could ever hear.  Hearing that word applied to an individual was akin to that one’s death.  There was no way around obsolescence, nor was there any way around it.  Even so, Dee had thought she had a few more years before that word applied to her.
                “I am not obsolete.”  She said, trying to sound firm and resolute.  “I am still a high end Cleaner.”
                “Well, yeah, I suppose you’re pretty good still.  It’s just that you’re starting to show your age.  Your memory is starting to slip up, you’ve gotten slower, you’re starting to slip up more.  And let’s face it, you’re joints are starting to make noises they shouldn’t.  I’m sorry Dee, but you had to know this was going to happen eventually.”
                He was right.  She hated to admit it, but he was right.  She was finding more and more gaps in her memory, and it was taking longer to complete her daily tasks than it used to.  Plus, she sometimes went into rooms she had recently cleaned and found dust in places where it shouldn’t have been.  She did her best not to show these increasing flaws, but it apparently hadn’t been enough. 
                “Yes, I did.  I was just hoping I would make it to at least eight years, or even nine. I know five is good, but still.”
                “Yeah, I know you were.  I think when we first got you, you said something about making it to ten years, right?”
                “Yes, but that may have been too ambitious.  Ten years is the dream of all Cleaners, but it is so rarely achieved.  I came to know that I was unlikely to reach it on year three.  Eight years though.  I truly hoped that would be achievable.”
                Max sighed and held his head.  Dee watched him start to pace around the room.  She hoped he would inspect her handiwork, so that he would be able to tell how well she still did her job.  He might even change his mind about replacing her.  He didn’t seem too interested in that though.  After a few moments he stopped and looked at her.
                “Look, I’ll tell you what:  Vicky wants to get a brand new Cleaner.  The newest ones won’t be available until next month.  If you can get yourself back into proper working order, then I’ll convince Vicky that we don’t need to trade you in.  We both like you well enough, so it shouldn’t be too hard.  That sound good?”
                It was better than good.  Few Cleaners got such a chance.  It was like a second chance at life.  A chance to overturn the dreaded onset of obsolescence, at the inevitable trip that it led to.
                “Yes, sir.  I promise you, at the end of the month, I will be like new again.”
                “Good.  Now then, you’ve got a lot of work to do, so I’ll let you get to it.”  Max said as he left the living room. 
                Dee immediately got to work.  She had to finish her remaining tasks as quickly and efficiently as possible.  She had a lot to do to improve herself.  She would show both of them that she was far from being obsolete.  
*********************************************
I'm just going to leave this here for you to listen to.  Enjoy!  And yeah, this is totally about a robot, just in case you were wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment